Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Eighth Commandment


That's what the good book says alright!!!
Exodus 20:15 

What is wrong with people these days?

I decided to blog about the Eighth Commandment because it's something I've had conversation with others about most recently. Not about people that have stolen people's hearts away, like this 1965 song I found sings about. lol But, about people that have stolen material items that others have spent their hard earned money to buy. People that have no respect for others, or this Eighth Commandment in the Bible. Frankly, it amazes me sometimes, and breaks my heart. I know times are hard for many....but stealing from others? Come on now!! And many people steal not because they are struggling, but for sport, because they can.

There is no such thing as "petty theft" in God's sight - the character of  those who steal a little is the same as those who steal much.  (Luke 16:10,11 - "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?") Daily Bible Study

Just the other day, a colleague at work forgot her purse in the cafeteria of our office building. I've left my purse somewhere before accidentally. Smh. Like my hubby always preaches, "when you get up you need to take a look around you before you walk away." Well, when this lady realized she left her purse she went back to retrieve it only to find that it was gone. Apparently, witnesses indicated that three young women were supposedly taking the purse to security. You know, the Lost and Found.  Problem is, the lady quickly learned that her purse didn't make it there. Oh no! It was soon found that these culprits had taken her purse to the top floor (probably not the floor they work on), and removed her $60 cash and iPhone. Now how sleazy is that? We work in a secure building. That means that everyone in it is a company employee. Makes you wonder, what type of people are you working with? No more leaving my purse out in the open at my desk. Funny thing is, that everyone who heard what had happened made the same assumption. There is a department in our building made up of a younger crowd of employees. It's gotta be one of them! lol So, Toronto's Finest were called. Hopefully, they will catch these fools on the security cameras and they get their just desserts. Lose their jobs? Get charged with a crime? Whatever happens to them I would love to ask them, "was it worth it?"  Man, I hope they get caught. That just cheeses me. (That means pisses me off btw) Someone apparently turned in the iPhone the next day I believe. lol Must have been after rumors spread about the police investigating. You know it's usually only a matter of time before you get caught.


So, I had a conversation with my teenage daughter about stealing and the consequences of such. Always have to take teaching opportunities. I've always tried to teach my children that if you are around people you know that steal or do other things they aren't supposed to, you walk away. Don't hang out with them because you will get caught up in their mess. If you break that Eighth Commandment, you deserve what you get!

My daughter has had several of her own items stolen from her, so she knows what it feels like to be a victim. Cellphone, her ipod(s), my ipod(s)....I put the "s" for a reason. Yup, more than one. When the kids no longer have theirs, they start using yours often with or without your permission...and what happens? The same thing that happened to theirs!! My husband always says, he "don't like to buy the same thing twice." He is big on taking care of his stuff and people taking care of other people's stuff. When she had her first iPod stolen she was totally crushed too. It was a special iPod because it was something she had wanted soo bad and what my husband had surprised her with as a Christmas Gift when we were dating. It was all engraved and everything. Oh, and he told her to keep it safe. Don't lose it, don't get it stolen. His famous last words, "Trust Nobody!" lol He is right though.

When we were talking about people stealing, I was reminding her about how she felt when her stuff was stolen and how unfair it would be to make another innocent person feel the same way. Just like these girls just did. We were talking about how hard some people have to work to get the things that they have. Business owners that often put everything they have into their businesses to make an honest buck. We also discussed how people often do things they are not supposed to when they are hanging with the wrong people. Bad influences vs good influences. Just like these three girls, because you know they didn't all come up with the same idea at the same time. It starts with one. And...we talked about consequences. In life, there are rewards and consequences to our actions. This, is why we need to choose wisely. Some consequences are worse than others. But, if you do the crime, you must do the time! It's only fair. Sometimes I have some great conversations with my daughter. I always pray that she remembers the stuff we talk about when she is out there by herself or with her friends. That it's not just going in one ear and out the other. lol
She's a good kid, she really is.

Anyways, my hubby got me watching this show What Would You Do? that had a segment on what people would do if they witnessed people stealing. I thought it was very interesting and had to share as it relates to my topic. Check it out and ask yourself....

Or...like many of us ask....WWJD? (What would Jesus do?)

I guess i'll have to wait to hear what becomes of these office crooks.
If that information becomes available.
And, watch what I do with my own stuff so nothing goes missing. Like Furman says...Trust Nobody!!
At the same time, i'll pray for those that steal and their victims.
Cause it just ain't right!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...