Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Monday, December 3, 2012

Something Fishy

Oh Dear....
Scratch and Sniff....jk jk
It is not pleasant working near the office servery!!  Oh nooooo!
And, I sit right behind it. That means that when people decide to warm up their lunches, I get hit with the smell and let me tell you..sometimes, I have to gag! Today, was one of those days. I need to vent so here I go. (Actually, I needed a vent....get it? lol) Gotta love blogging. lol Our building has a cafeteria on the main floor away from where everyone works. But, each floor has a servery on each end to save people the trip. You know, make a quick cup of something hot, warm up something quick...including the stinky stuff. Unfortunately, our servery's are not enclosed. The walls do not reach the ceilings, and there are no doors. Makes the travel of smell that much quicker and the noise that much louder. Usually, after we get over the shock of what we are smelling, the laughter starts because we are in disbelief that we have to work in these conditions. Lmao One lady today said she deserves disaster pay because the smell was soo bad. Then the joke became what she did to save herself. She took her outdoor scarf and wrapped it around her face leaving space to see as she worked at her computer. She looked hilarious...yet, understood. Naturally, the culprit of this stinky food gets the hell out of dodge. lol You can't tell me you don't know your food is going to stink! Really?

And to think, in our office we are scent free. Nobody is allowed to wear scented products because of people's allergies. (We couldn't even spray something to mask the odor). When they implemented this rule, everybody was in an uproar. Rumor had it that the change was implemented for one person. We couldn't understand why one person fosters a change that affects soo many. Why couldn't this person just work from home, or give her an office, or move her to a remote section of the office less affected by others? lol Oh nooooo...can't do that, that would be discrimination. So, we all have to suffer. The building wasn't made scent free though, just our work areas. Like this person wouldn't encounter scents from anywhere else in the building. Oh, and people were getting spoken to about their breaking of the new rules. Trust me....this is serious. Just not serious for the food smells. Don't like the smell of popcorn? Fish? Burnt toast? lol Deal with it!

Now let me finish off about the noise. I have probably complained about this before in a previous post, I don't remember. lol But with our open servery, if your desk is close, you hear everything. Especially if you are the type of person who naturally has a loud voice that carries. Well, almost the same time every day, I get to listen to the same people talk about their family dramas, recipes, etc....oh, and my soap opera that is sitting at home on the PVR waiting for me to watch. By the time I get to watch it, these ladies have already discussed everything that's happened!! Grrr. That alone should justify them moving. lol Make them go downstairs to the cafeteria for lunch!


I got so frustrated with the noise that I started wearing noise cancelling headphones as I work. lol Which actually works out great because I listen to my music and different stuff on the computer as I plug away. And...sometimes I just wear them listening to nothing. But, my co-workers don't know that. hahaha  I think I get interrupted less because people think i'm listening to something. I could be wrong. Nose plugs wont work though.                                                        


Well, after several complaints about noise level and food smells, management looked into options to close up the servery. That came off the table pretty quick. Too much money! Not in the budget. So, we continue to complain about the noise and the smells. Signs have been posted asking people to keep it down and to warm up their smelly foods downstairs instead. But you know that in this day and age, people really don't give a crap about others often enough. Today...was absolutely horrid. Wish I could put a face to a food smell. While the horrid smells don't happen all the time, the noise is much more frequent. Then again, sometimes a lot of the noise I listen to in the day doesn't even come from the servery, but from people's work areas letting others know that they are just taking a break. Again, some people are much louder than others. Trust me...this has caused issues with people hearing conversations over the baffles and complaining about things said that have nothing to do with them. Oh, and when people nearby have customers on the phone...they really get cheesed. The joy of office work. I love my job though. That being said, I'll deal with the noise and the various attacks on my senses even when It Stinks. Especially after having survived another round of cuts. But whoy....sometimes the smells and the noise have to determine when you take a break and walk away. Seriously! It's not like we can open a window.

Ok...I've vented. lol Thanks for reading. The smell is gone...and so is the noise for that matter.
Till tomorrow!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...