Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Petition

I started a Petition today.
No lie!
Feeling a bit like a Rebel now. lmao Oh yeah...a real bad ass! hahahaha Jk Jk
Hope my ass doesn't get handed to me.  Right? lol

But seriously....When I got to work this morning I was told the news that our little neighborhood Gateways Newstand was being forced out of our office building. His lease was not being renewed. Like WTH?

This guy has been in our building operating his little storefront for years. I can't even tell you how long. I just know that's its before my time at this current location which has been about 6 years now. Anyways...word has it that our cafeteria must have been making complaints about losing business to him. I'd think that with all the years that he's been around that they'd be used to it by now. lol But...somebody made the decision to make him leave. Not renew his lease. Crazy!
This place can't even compare to our cafeteria. It's a small storefront that sells everything from: newspapers, magazines, snacks, cigarettes, bus tokens, emergency supplies, greeting cards, fresh coffee and even patties. Stuff...that you cannot get in the cafeteria. But I certainly understand why they might complain. Just not sure why they are doing it now. And...the man has developed relationships with soo many people who are in and out of his store daily. Myself included. Who is going to ask me how my training is going for my runs? lol  Oh, and I've even witnessed him allowing people to run a tab. I mean seriously! They show up at the end of the week or something to pay for all the purchases they've made within the week. How awesome is that? (Ok..if that's a secret, don't tell anybody) I'm sure he doesn't do it with everybody though. But, that just goes to show you. That, would NEVER happen in the cafeteria. And besides....where our office is located, it's about a 10 minute walk to the nearest store which is actually a gas station. You can't do that on a 15 minute break! Oh...and let me not forget to mention that this store has hours outside of cafeteria hours, which is awesome for the call center employees that work in the same building. I'm just saying!!

So...after congregating with several fellow employees about the issue, I decided to put my resourcefulness to work. Started an online petition at Change.org. This is new for me. I'm great at writing awesome professional emails and stuff, but i've never done a petition. lol I just figured a petition would be a great idea. It can't hurt anybody. It may not give us what we are asking in the long run, but it will at least let the powers that be know that we have an issue and are doing what we can to be heard. We need to identify the value in keeping this man's business the way it always has been for years. If we can do that, then maybe the powers that be will take a moment to read the comments and make a better decision. After all, sometimes it takes one person to kick up a bunch of fuss that fosters changes that affect all. I'm not sure if this is the case that resulted in this man's lease not being renewed. But..if we can present several, and I mean several, signatures of people that are satisfied with the status quo and why.....hmmmm? Maybe, just maybe. Like I was telling a few people already....at the very least, this man will see that we've tried and appreciate all the support he probably never knew he even had. Small business owners always get a bad rap!

Office Petition so I wont include link.
Word is getting out though. We've gotten just over 50 signatures already. Impressed. Problem that we're having is that our browsers are outdated which creates problems for people opening the link to the petition. Some are using an old version of Internet Explorer while others have taken it upon themselves to download Chrome. Guess which one works? lol Option...people either have to download Chrome or send the link home so they can open the link and sign the petition from their own personal browser. We may lose some signatures because of this issue. (I've used my Facebook privacy settings to post the link to my co-worker group of friends only. lol How genius is that?) Next thought though....create a paper copy of the petition for people to sign who haven't gotten onto the online copy. Either way, I'm thinking we'll be ok with a good number of people noting their support for the cause. Will keep you updated.

I just hope we can do some good and keep things the way they always have been for 2013.
A Petition for Change?  Naw.....we are petitioning to keep things the same. Go figure!!
And I don't want to hear how change is good. Keep it. lol That's not helping the cause right now. lmao

Actually, It's a movement!  :)
Like Obama said in 2008 - YES WE CAN!  haha
I'm FIRED UP and READY TO GO!  lol  Ok Ok..i'll stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...