Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thrift Shop

Well, we finally found a little sumthin' sumthin' for Furman to wear in the snow on Saturday.
Yup.....got it from the THRIFT SHOP!
Had to share this tune that I heard on the radio because its fitting. Lol
(Don't mind the few curse words...it's got a nice beat and theme. Lol At least I think so.)


I was telling someone the other day that I prefer to shop and donate to the Salvation Army because I know what they do with the proceeds from their sales. They farm it back into the community. So, the person thought they'd do some research and came up with a silly video of someone trying to encourage people to boycott SallyAnn (aka Salvation Army) because it is a religious organization - Wikipedia. I didn't even bother listening to the entire video and i'm not posting it because i'm not trying to encourage such drivel. lol It just amazes me how people always have issues with religious organizations because they are religious but never focus on the fact that they are helping EVERYONE. Yup, even those not religious. But...i'm not going to start a debate here about religion because i've read several comments on news articles, etc....and when it comes to religion...people lose their minds and get quite testy. Religion and Politics...always set people off!! lol I just merely wanted to point out my choice in Thrift Shops and why....that's all. Not that you even care. hahaha

Goodwill is also a non-profit organization that helps the community. I'll sometimes check there for stuff too...but their prices are much higher than SallyAnn, in my opinion.

                                               

Now, Value Village..... is a privately held FOR PROFIT Thrift Shop. I check in there sometimes if I can't find what I might be looking for elsewhere. But, it's definitely not my first choice Thrift Shop. Just giving you something to think about...that's all.

I know some of you would NEVER shop at a Thrift Shop! But you really don't know what you are missing.
You can get some really good stuff at a Thrift Shop if you only take the time to look.
And, depending on the area where the Thrift Shop is....you can get some quality stuff! Not everybody donates junk! Sometimes people donate stuff because of a death in the family, moving out of country, etc. Some, have even lucked out by finding valuable items at a Thrift Shop. Oh yeah...lots of stories about that happening.

Picked apart by neighborhood vultures. lol
When you see those donation bins located around the city, do you ever wonder where the donations go? I mean really? I know that many of the boxes will identify some organization that you may have never heard of but....if not identified, what is done with the profits from the stuff we've donated?  Where is the stuff going? Whose pockets are we lining? Well, besides the local community that will often sift through stuff that has been left on the outside of the bins in some areas. That's stealing!! Some might be calling it an even trade when they are dropping off stuff and see something cool that they'd like. I dunno. I know many of us don't even care because we just want to get rid of some things we've been holding onto...and giving it away is better than throwing it away. I get it. I'm just saying.

If I lived in the city...I would definitely be giving my stuff to The Scott Mission. I have many memories as a little girl attending the Scott Mission Camp! Great times! Oh...and yes, it is another Christian, non denominational, non-profit organization that helps EVERYONE!  I used to go to their camp every year for several years. At first, I was angry because I thought that my auntie was just trying to get rid of me. lol Even though I had great fun. But, in hindsight, and having grown up....I certainly understand and appreciate the experiences that my auntie exposed me to. I tried to do the same for my own children. Awe yes...the camp songs, bonfires, horse riding, etc. I even have a small scar on my leg from one summer at camp when I was chasing some fool around the picnic table that had stolen my plate of Kraft macaroni and cheese. My leg hit the corner of the bench as we circled the table several times and it tore some skin off. lol Wasn't funny at the time. Scarred for life! You know that must have been some good mac and cheese. :)

Anyways...enough of my stroll down memory lane and talking about Thrift Shops. lol

We got Furman some pants and Saturday is going to be a blast at Snow Valley.

Hope everyone has been having an awesome week.
After returning to work from holidays....i've been busy.
But....always gotta take a break to blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...