Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Been There, Done That

Something happened yesterday to make me say hmmmm?
I came across a post that someone I know made on Facebook recently that was a sharing of someone else's story. A story about their struggle with Alcoholism.

When I read this story, I knew exactly who the post was about (although there were no names mentioned) because the person identified it was someone in our circle while trying to keep them anonymous. I wasn't quite sure how to feel about what I was reading. The fact that such a personal story was posted on the internet for all to read and not by the person who owned the story. Wait a minute....this sounds familiar. Maybe, because I did something similar many months back. Been there, done that! When I did it, I didn't do it with any malice (unlike what many believed for obvious reasons) so when I read this person's posting, I didn't think they did it with any malice either. I understood that they were sharing for a greater purpose, just like I was. Their purpose, to encourage participation in the upcoming Let's Talk Day and to possibly speak to someone in particular who was fighting the same demon. You know, a way of letting them know that they are not alone. Hope the post helps. When I did it, my purpose was a reminder of where someone had been to better appreciate where they were going. My own walk down memory lane and a proud moment. It was something that I would have mentioned and tried to laugh about in person if things had been different. Instead, I took a lot of heat for sharing the story from a few people I had no clue even read my blog. Why? Because they assumed that I was being nasty when they didn't know what was in my heart. And, because they felt that I didn't have any right to share the story that I had a small part in. Clearly I disagree. 

Yesterday, for some reason, I felt a bit protective over the owner of this story (someone I hardly know). I was sensitive to their struggle and wanted to save them from any water cooler talk and/or further hurt. After all, the post shared enough info for ME to guess who it was, so I was sure that others had also. My question was....had the owner of the story seen this post which wasn't vague enough, in my opinion? The same thing I'm sure certain people thought when they read my own posting, and knew who I was talking about. They knew for a fact that the person hadn't seen my post. So, in true gossip form...it was shared, and I learned a bit about who was reading my blog. But back to my question....lol I checked online to see if the author and the subject were Facebook friends, and they were not...so I was concerned. Oh boy.

After digesting the post, I felt I needed to say something to someone but wasn't sure who. Do I just mind my business? Do I go to the author about the wording of their story so it's harder for people to identify the subject? I didn't see anything wrong with sharing the story, (we all have something to learn from the struggles of others) just how it was told is all. Or, do I go to the subject? Well damn, in my case, people went to the subject and one even sent me a nasty message. So, I went to the subject too. I wasn't about to send the author any nasty messages. lol Like I said, I looked at positive intent although I didn't know what the relationship really was between the two. Here, I felt I could talk to the subject better than the author, and I wanted her to know that I was here for her. My intention was not to rat out anyone and cause problems, but moreso to give the person a heads up so they wouldn't wonder about any possible whispers or glares.....because you know how people get. I was just looking out. I get it! I got it before actually, but not as much as I get it now.

So yeah....I pulled her aside and asked her how many friends she had around us. I wasn't sure how many she had shared her story with. Then, I told her about something I read where I was able to identify her as the subject and was concerned others would too. Instantly, she knew what I was talking about so I didn't have to say much more. In fact, the author had asked her if they could share her story. (Unlike myself because I had figured it was partly my story too, and that people who would know who I was referring to wouldn't be reading my blog. lol). I felt a big relief. She was soo happy that I came to her which showed that I had her back. She laughed, and suggested I be an editor. lmao She understood how certain information could have been left out of the post so that people would not know who the subject was. (Yes, I went back and read my old post...just to see) Just like I suspected, the author had good intentions and the subject knew it. You see, you can't always jump the gun and think the worst about people. lol In fact, the subject was at a point in life where they are so proud of their story that they didn't mind sharing it themselves or others sharing it for them. It's all about helping others right? How else do we Glorify God if we don't share our struggles and how he helped us through them. That's just my take.

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV)

That being said....I'm proud of myself.
I'm far from perfect and enjoy growing and becoming a better person.
I'm proud of the subject of the post I speak about because she is fighting the battle and is winning the war....and is sharing her story to boot!!
And in case it wasn't understood at the time, I'm also proud of the person that I wrote about. I'll say it again, that I didn't intend to hurt anyone by sharing and I apologize for any hurt I may have caused.
But you see, I write about this persons post and how it relates to my own to show that there is always something to be learned, about each other and about ourselves.
If you are reading this and are facing an unresolved issue and/or are in the midst of your own battle, here is a song of encouragement that I haven't been able to get out of my head the last couple of days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...