Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Race Kit Pickup

Today was quite the adventure that I had to tell you about it.
Why? Because there was a lesson learned. lol

As I mentioned in my previous post....today was Race Kit Pickup day.
I had to make the trek into the city between 10-2pm to get our kits because yesterdays time for pickup was during rush hour (3-7pm) and that wasn't happening. Especially since I was on a Mental Health Day. So, on a yucky rainy day...I head into the city.
I decided that I would make an adventure of it. How? Well, by parking where I knew so I wouldn't have to hunt for parking near my destination. Parking where I knew was several blocks away which means I would have to make a trek in the rain to my destination.

Although I had an umbrella, I decided I would take an adventure....the Toronto PATH system. An underground network of shopping the connects several buildings for 28 kms. I had this downloaded map on my iphone to help me navigate because while I've lived in this city all my life, I've never successfully navigated through the PATH from one point to another. It's like a maze as the map will show you.

But.....before I could start my adventure, I had to park. That has never been an issue before but it was today because I didn't have my credit card on me, which is what I usually use for the machine. I didn't worry about it because I was pretty sure that there was a change machine on one of the parking levels. I was wrong!!
I swear there used to be one there though. I swear.

So, I started counting my change.

When I found that I was a couple dollars short of the $6 flat rate fee that I needed, I started digging in my car. Moving the seats to check for fallen pocket change. It helped. But not completely. I needed $0.50 more.
Luckily on the fourth level of the parking garage was a section where people are able to vacuum out their vehicles. A car pulled up near me to do so. Soooo.....I went begging. hahahahaha I sure did! Two guys were getting ready to vacuum out their SUV so I sauntered over and asked them if they could spare $0.50. Don't remember my exact words...lol But, I put on the charm. Lucky for me, it worked. They generously donated $0.50 to my cause. So, I went to the parking machine to get my ticket.

Well, I encountered a new issue surprisingly.
As I stood there depositing the loonies (Canadian dollar coins), quarters, dimes and nickels....when the tally got to $5.90 the machine wouldn't take any more change. WTH? Is there a quota as to how many coins you can use to make your $6? Nothing on the machine said so. I tried again. Same problem. So close but yet so far. I couldn't get a darn parking slip so I could be on my way. Smh.

Now....I decided to drive up a level of the parking garage to where I would more likely encounter people because the level I was on was pretty much empty. On that next level I stopped a man that had just parked and asked him if he could give me a loonie in exchange for four quarters. In fact, he gave me two for eight. This should work. So, back to the parking machine I went. It worked!!! I was on my way. Finally. Don't even ask how much time I spent trying to deal with this change issue. lol

After that, I was headed for the PATH. After all, I was on a deadline. Nothing crazy to share about my venture through the PATH. It was just like going through a maze. Turn a corner, reach a dead end, retrace steps and go another way till you find which way you should be going. Look at signs for direction and still not be sure which sign to follow. The map I shared above was a bit helpful. Sooo....I made my way and was so proud of myself. Found my way to my destination to get our race kits for tomorrow.
                                       

This will be us!!

ISLAND GIRLS!!!

Wish us luck!
Say a prayer.
Stay tuned.  Finish line.... Here we come!!
Oh... And lesson learned....parking machines have some kind of quota on how many coins you can use. Lol. Seriously!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...