Oct 6, 2011 - "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6

Monday, September 22, 2014

IRUN4....Anthony

Race Weekend is over.
But, before I blog about my run I find it only fitting to blog about a group that I became a part of that so many people are finding to be very rewarding on so many levels. The stories from the IRunforMichael Facebook feed are truly beautiful. You have no idea! So, keep reading.

The group is called Who I Run 4, and I definitely encourage my readers to check it out whether you are a runner or not. I can't write too much about it because then you'd have wayy too much to read so I ask for you to please click on the related links I've shared and watch the video. But in summary, I will share a post from the website that sums it all: "The mental and emotional encouragement for both runner and honorary runner is proving to be a whole new level of motivation and awareness.  Runners are able to find a whole new sense of purpose in their running while sharing who they are running for and bringing awareness to diseases and disabilities of all types."


My friend and running buddy Catie had been paired with a buddy just before our last race in Ottawa back in May. She was so excited on the ride down at that time and was telling me what she knew about the group. So, I decided to sign up as well.

She run's for Garrett. A young boy in Tennessee who has Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy. Since May she has been able to develop a close relationship with Garrett and his family through regular contact on social media, etc. She has dedicated her runs to him and has been able to collect extra medals and run shirts from her events to send to him as reminders that she is here for him and his family, that she is inspired by him and tearfully thankful for their connection. My words cannot express how this connection to Garrett and his family has made her feel. I can only imagine what it may do for them having a new friend all the way in Canada. She tears up just talking about them and their strength as they go through challenges with Garrett's DMD. And, just so you know how committed she is, let me tell you that she is actually flying to Tennessee this weekend to meet them in person. That's my Catie!  Love her and wish her safe travels. If I didn't have so much going on right now I definitely would have arranged to go down with her. Yup. But, my vacation is only a couple weeks away. Soo excited....but back to what I was saying.....

Used with Parent permission
She is not only going down there to meet them but she is going to take part in Garrett's Hero Run which is a 5k run where people come dressed in their best superhero outfits and have been fundraising in support of ending Duchenne's. Definitely sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see Catie's photos of herself as WonderWoman's Grandma. (Hey, those are her words lol not mine) Make sure you check out that link also for Garrett's Run. If you are in that area it may be a great event for you to take part in one day or a cause for you to donate to if your heart feels led.  To the left is a picture of her sweet buddy Garrett that his mom has allowed me to use in my blog. Thanks Amber.
Well, similar to Catie's experience, right before my Half Marathon I got notified that I was being matched. Woo Hoo! Took 4 months which apparently isn't too bad. However, right now the group is in need of more runners to get matched with the many on the list of buddies who are waiting to inspire and just be a wonderful blessing to someone's life. So again, check it out and I encourage you to get involved.  I'm just getting started. As I said, I just got matched so I am in the process of learning all about my buddy Amazing Anthony. A little guy who has been through sooo much already and the fact that he is still here is truly a blessing from God, just like Catie's Garrett. It amazes me these kids.

So, when I ran my Half Marathon this past weekend I ran for Anthony who just broke a femur because of his brittle bones. I finished too....but I wont say anything about my run because I will save that for the next post. I will say that I did get some bling that I hope to also be able to send to Amazing Anthony and his family one day soon. Something to remind the family that I am here keeping them all in prayer. I wanted to dedicate this one specifically to the IRUN4 group and my amazing friend Catie who introduced me to another family. Love her!

Canada Army Run Half Marathon was dedicated to Garrett and Anthony.
Prayers out to both of them and their families as they go through the struggles associated with the challenges they have been given. All the way from Canada....huggs to them all. 

And if you haven't already gone to the WhoIRun4 website to sign up, then get to it. And know this, you don't have to be a runner, you can be a walker or love to engage in some other form of activity that you can dedicate to someone who probably can't do what you do. People update the Facebook page three times a week to keep their buddies updated on what they are upto and just giving words of encouragement that can really go a long way for a family or buddy that has been having a rough day, week, month, year. 

PREPARE TO BE INSPIRED!!

                                 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1 ESV)     

                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...